Monday, March 14, 2011

Gotta "WALE" of a Tale!

This past week (March 9-11) we journeyed deep into the heart of Wales!
Day #1: We packed our bags, and loaded the trusty old WestBus... Gotta love it! Then we drove for a few hours until we reached some random city on the coast of England. There we picked up our beloved church historian, Peter Fag. And he then took us around the countryside to explore several English Church History sites... We have never had so much fun in our entire lives! Ok, so that is definitely a lie. I'm pretty sure we all hated it, and by the end, we were all ready to punch someone in the face. I guess we did kinda see some pretty cool stuff.
We went around and saw several old chapels in the area....

And we stopped at a pretty cute little town... nobody knows the name of it, that's just how fabulous it was. haha But we had fun exploring for a little bit!

We took a smile hike up some random mountain, and got totally trashed by the wind. It was unlike anything I have ever experienced before! It was so much fun!

AND the view from the top was absolutely gorgeous! :)

We ended that day by sleeping in some sketchy hostel in some crazy tiny town called Stone in the Wall in the Cotswolds... Before I go any further, let me tell you about this hostel. Nastiest most creepiest thing ever! I almost died. Not even kidding you. So I stuck in the room at the very top, right? So as we're climbing the stairs, the ceiling gradually starts to get lower and lower... when I make it to the room, I literally have to duck to walk through the doors! And if I would have tried, I wouldn't have been able to stick my arm straight in the air without hitting the top. It was tiny! The shower curtains had stains on it, and it just looked absolutely disgusting. There was no way anyone was going to convince me to shower in that! So yeah, it was gross. I then get down on the dirty floor to make my short little bed. As I pull on the sheet to unfold it, it honestly CRUNCHED! I freaked out... I was so disgusted. After my little meltdown, I crawled into my nasty crunchy bed that seriously felt more like a slab of marble than anything, and fell asleep.

Day #2: I woke up the next morning feeling like I had literally been hit by a bus... and as I made my way down to breakfast, I forgot one crucial fact about where I was: the doorways. Yeah, I kinda walked right into it. My head made the most disgusting sound I had ever heard as it smacked into the metal frame. But no worries! I only yelled, maybe threw in a few not so good words, decided I felt better, and went on my way. We got on the bus and drove to Wales. Our first stop: The Big Pit! The most famous coal mine inWales!
When we got there, we ate at some miner cafeteria place called The Canteen... It was pretty sweet. Then we were split into groups, and sent through what I call "the assembly line". We walked down the line, and the miners took turns putting our little miner gear on us. We got to wear the awesome helmets, complete with light! And even some crazy little safety belt thing with oxygen masks. It was legit!

And can I just say... Miners are the funniest people I think I have ever met. Especially these ones with their little Welsh accents. Cracked me up! Our tour guide was Rob, and he was hysterical. He was constantly cracking jokes, singing as we walked through the mine shafts, and telling us awesome stories. He even tried to scare us several times. It was so much fun! And the mine was surprising really awesome!
After our mining experience, we got back on the bus, and drove into the countryside where we came upon Tinturn Abbey. We just got to run around and play in the ruins for a bit. It was so much fun!

It was absolutely amazing, and beautiful. We loved it!


After we left the abbey, we drove until we reached our final destination: Cardiff! Once there, we checked into our hotel, and then were set free to run wild around the city. And trust me, that is just what we did.  haha  Well, me and Ramzi and Kaylee did anyways. :)  We went down and just hung out at the bay...

Yeah, it was pretty much gorgeous, and of course, I loved it!


Day #3: This morning, we we left again to just wander around Cardiff. We just kinda wandered and went shopping... nothing too exciting. Although we did have a ton of fun watching all of the drunk Irish and Welsh Rugby fans run around the city getting ready for the big match! Pure entertainment! :)
We finally then loaded up the bus and came back home. To London that is.
Overall, this trip was probably not my favorite... but it was still tons of fun, nonetheless! I just love my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment