Monday, March 14, 2011

ROMAN HOLIDAY


It was a crisp, clear morning, that March 2nd at 2:00 am as we walked out our front door, and said goodbye to London for the week. This was it... the moment I had waited for my whole life... the day that I was officially making my dreams come true... it was that day, that I was going to go to ITALY!!! I was one happy girl, that's for sure. I don't think I had been more excited about anything in my entire life up to this point. I was on top of the world as I walked down that sidewalk, boarded that bus, and arrived at the Stansted Airport...

  How could you be so Heartless...
Now comes the best adventure known in Sharon's history of flying... RyanAir. I hate it! So, we bought our plane tickets a long time ago, and we all felt really proud of ourselves for finding such great, cheap airplane tickets, and we were all excited. If only we had known! haha RyanAir is the worst airline known to mankind. No joke. So, their rules are: one bag per person. No big deal right? Well, what they don't tell you is that your bag must pass the "cage test", meaning they stick inside a little box to check the size. If it fits, great! If not, sucks to be you. So yeah, we all stuffed our backpacks (the only bags we had that complied with the size regulations) and then got in line. It was here we all discovered just how heartless these people really are. So, I step up to the counter to check in, and I received the biggest glare I think I have ever even seen in my life. The lady then viciously stamps my passport, and tosses it back across the counter at me. Baffled, I turned and then walked towards the security gate. My story only got worse from here... I take my little liquid baggies out of my backpack, and place them into the little tray. I step up to the screening counter, and I'm about to walk through the metal detector, when the security guard calls me back. He gives me that look, like I'm a total idiot. He then proceeds to inform me that I can't take any of my liquids onto the plane. I was so confused... Apparently, the bottles were too big. He tried telling me that I had to go back out and check my bag. I didn't have time for that! I was already pushing my time... So he looked at me with absolutely no pity, picks up my bottle, and literally throws them into the trash can in front of my face! He then gives me some creepy little smile, and sends me on my way. AGH! I was so angry... I lost my toothpaste, contact solution, and facewash. These people! So angry! I swear, they find joy and pleasure in watching other people suffer. Anyways, we finally all made it into the terminal, and were then greeted coldly by the airline ticket ladies... one snatched my ticket from my hands, yelled at me for not having my passport out and open to the right page (she didn't even look at it...) and then viciously ripped my ticket in half. Then as I was walking towards the door, the other lady
 
BUONJIORNO!!!
The airplane took off, and we flew through the clouds. Once we got above it, I saw the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen! There was a sea of clouds beneath us, and the sun was beginning to rise, so the skies were pink and dark purple. It was so amazing! This made up just a little bit of stupid RyanAir's heartlessness. The next thing I remember, I was waking up as we were flying into Italy, and again one of the prettiest things I have ever seen: Snow-topped mountains in the distance, and rolling green fields spotted with small red-roofed villages. So adorable! I knew I loved Italy before we had even landed. Already it was climbing the charts to my number one favorite place on earth. We eventually landed in ROME, and found our taxi driver, then set off on one crazy ride... those Italian drivers. Oh my gosh. I promise, it's not just a joking stereotype. Those Italians are INSANE drivers! Going down the freeway, I swear we had to have been going over 100 mph. No joke. And they just go wherever they want, weaving in and out, and doing whatever they feel like doing! Then we made it into the city, and the streets got narrower and smaller, and turned from pavement to cobblestone...and the drivers didn't slow down one bit! I seriously thought I was going to die! Scariest thing ever! But we made it to our hotel in one piece! Miraculously... :)


We Love-a The Mario!
Our hotel was the coolest thing ever! It was called the Anfiteatro Flavio, (named after some weird historical building called the Colosseum... ever heard of it?) Oh, and it just so happens that it was on the same street as said Colosseum! So whenever we stepped out the door, it was like BAM! Colosseum! It was so awesome!!!! And instead of room numbers, they give their rooms names. Our room: Mario! How cool is that!? :) we loved it!


Clueless?
I don't know if anyone else has ever had this experience, but I promise it's well worth it! Go to a different country, where you don't know the language, you have no idea where you are, or even any clue as to what you are going to do there, and spend a week exploring. You won't regret it! That's basically what we did... We landed in Rome, never having seen even a map of the city, and being totally clueless as to what was even in the city besides the Colosseum. After parting ways with Mario, our beloved hotel room, we set off into the heart of the city! I'm sure we made quite the sight too... five American girls, wandering the city, taking pictures of everything they saw. Even though we had no idea what anything was. Part of this grand adventure included going to a local pharmacy with our handy little Italian phrase book, and trying to ask the ancient dinosaur of a pharmacist behind the counter for contact solution, hairspray, and shampoo... It was actually quite hilarious. You should try it sometime! And surprisingly, we were more successful than we thought we would be. It gave us a few good laughs... :)


Ghetto Metro
We decided to brave the unknown world of the Italian Metro... definitely one of the freakiest situations I have ever been in. Although not quite as horrible as Paris, it was still awful. So dirty and smelly and crowded! As we shoved our way into the train, I thought for sure I was going to lose an arm or something because there was no way I was possibly going to fit... I was wrong. I just kept being pushed forward, getting closer and closer to all the nasty Italian people surrounding me. They fit another three rows of people in behind me! I have honestly never seen so many people in one spot ever! It was disgusting.... I couldn't breathe. Not that I wanted to anyways. Ugh. Nasty! Oh, and did I also mention that the metro trains here are very colorful? Literally... they all are completely covered in the coolest graffiti!

VATICAN CITY
Needless to say, I was very relieved when we finally made it to our stop. We got off, and then walked up the street until we reached the grand entrance to the Vatican known as St. Peter's Basilica! Most gorgeous building ever! It was incredible!
We stood in line and enjoyed the beautiful sunshine, bought our tickets, and then proceeded to climb over 550 stairs until we reached the top of the Basilica dome. We came out, literally on the ceiling of the cathedral, looking down on the inside. It was absolutely amazing... we were even lucky enough to hear the acoustics of the place as a legitimate choir sang some church hymns for the priest. It was cool! We then decided to keep going up the stairs. So we hiked, and hiked, and hiked some more until we came up outside, on the very tip top of the building! And the view of the city was breathtaking... so beautiful! :)  
(these pictures do not even come close to doing this city justice...)

We then made our way all the way back down, and took a look inside of the Basilica. And guess what I actually saw with my own eyes!? Michelangelo's Pieta!

Yup, be jealous. It was fantastic!
 We then concluded our Vatican City exploration, with a walk through the Sistine Chapel. One word: INCREDIBLE! I have never seen anything like it in my entire life. It blew me away!
(While pictures were not allowedx in the actual chapel, this is one of the hallways leading into it)
 So gorgeous, and so amazing!

"Mama-Mia!"

I love Italian people... they are just so cute, and when they speak to me with their little accents, it's absolutely adorable! I can't get enough of it! GAH! :) So, one of my personal favorite stories of the trip comes from my visit to the Spanish Steps. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.... That's all I have to say. Anyways, I decided I was going to run up the stairs, and count them as I go. So off I went: 1-2-3-...134, 135, 136! Woohoo! Look at me go!

 I got to the top, and in a cry of victory, I shouted! "Yeah! 136!" Behind me I heard a voice... "Very good-a! There-a are 136!" I turned around to see the most adorable little painter man, sitting among his papers covered in some of the most gorgeous painting I have ever seen. So I went over, had myself a look, and then we started to chat. He asked me where I was from. When I told him I was from Utah, the poor man about had a heart attack, I swear. His eyes got really big and this huge smile started to make its way across his face, and he shouts: "My-a At-a teacher was-a from-a Utah! He-a taught me how-a to speak-a Enlgish!" I tried to sound as excited about it as he was... but I'm not sure it worked. Well, I may not be the best actor, but he at least pretended to buy it. He even offered me the special Utah Discount. score! Unfprtunately, I had to fly home to London via RyanAir, and there was no way I was going to be fitting one of them paitings into my backpack. So sadly, I apologized, and declined his offer. He was totally cool about it, and even made me give him a hug before I left. So I went over, and he ambraced me, then did the cutsie little double cheek kiss thing that they do! Best moment of my life! Kissed by an Italian Artist at the top of the Spanish Steps... does life get any better than that!?


And the Roman Vacation MVP Award goes to....
TREVI FOUNTAIN!!!



"Hey Lady!"
Word to the wise... when approached by a crazy street vendor, run. Don't stop to talk, don't even make eye contact! Just avoid them at all costs. Trust me. I learned this the hard way...
So it was a bright, beautiful, sunshiny day in Rome, and we decided to go on a little shopping excursion! As we walked down the street, a big black man selling rip off prada bags walked towards me. He caught my gaze, and the rest is history! "Hey lady!" he shouted at me. "Want to buy one of my bags?" Realizing what I had done, I quickly tried to avoid him. But it was too late. Before I know it, he was standing in front of my, shoving all of his bags in my face. "Hey lady! Hey lady! I give you a good deal, buy my bag!" I nervously smiled, and said I didn't want one, then turned to walk away. He didn't like that very much. He grabbed my arm, and spun me around to face him. I was so angry... "Hey lady," he said yet again, "I love you! Do you love me?' Who the heck was this guy!? "No!" I shouted. "I don't love you! I don't even know you! And I DO NOT want one of your bags!" I literally had to run down the street to get away from him. He ran after me, shouting "Hey lady! Hey lady!" the whole way. Luckily I was a tad bit faster than he was, and was able to duck into some random street store before he saw where I had gone.... *sigh* Oh Italian Street vendors. How you make me laugh!
Basically, the only people on the streets who aren't ridiculous, (unless you count ridiculously awesome!) Are these guys:


This guys especially... he was our favorite. We walked past him every day, just to hear his mad skills. He even played great classics like the Beatles! Loved it!

Another great street vendor story: So, pretty much what they are trying to sell is crap. Literally. Like, who in the world wants to buy your little bubble blowing gun, or sticky gel man that splatters when you throw it on the ground? Right... nobody! It amazes me how smart and cool they think they are... who in their right mind takes a look at one of those and says "oh my. He's right! That is very nice! I must have one!" haha They're nuts! So anyways, on our last day in Italy, our good buddy Blake was carrying around a broken umbrella. When the first street vendor of the day approached us, Blake in return asked him if he wanted to buy his umbrella. He didn't like that. haha It was a great strategy! Every time we used it, the vendors would get this funny look on their face, and walk away. So if ever in a predicament with an annoying foreign street vendor trying to sell you garbage, offer him some of yours instead! :)

I lost my hand...
So there's this really famous thing in Rome called the Mouth of Truth. According to legend, when on puts their hand inside the mouth, if that person is a liar, their hand will be bitten off. So of course, I stuck my hand in. And the result: I now only have one hand.,. haha Just kidding! :) It was pretty legit, and pretty awesome. I feel so Roman now! I bet they've all done it before. haha But it was also here at the Mouth of Truth, that we got to see Hadrian's Crypt. How cool is that!? It made me happy. Mainly because it made me remember that I once wrote a research paper on that dude... I don't remember anything about him other than the fact that he built a wicked awesome wall. But still. It was fantastic!

Colossal Colosseum
One of the coolest things by far that we did in Rome, was tour the Colosseum. Like, oh my gosh. You have no idea just how awesome that place is until you go inside. Even though it's pretty breathtaking and incredible from the outside, you'll be absolutely blown away by the inside! It is a MUST DO on anyone's Roman vacation! You won't regret it. I don't even really know why it was so awesome, it just was. Trust me. I would know.

QUE PASTA!
Pretty much there is no story here... just the fact that I love Italian Markets, and the random burst of "que pasta!" that Italians shout.
It makes me happy. :)
Oh and ps. one other thing we did on this trip, was see the pantheon! It was pretty sweet...

Curse You RyanAir!

So remember how I was only allowed to take one bag on the airplane because of the gay regulation of the airline? yeah... I forgot that small detail while I was shopping all week in Italy... As a result, I was forced to wear all of my clothes on my body so that I could pack and fit everything into my backpack. It was great fun. Oh RyanAir. Thanks for the memories!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment