Sunday, February 27, 2011

OXFORD anyone?


Wednesday February 23rd, we set off on a wonderful adventure! Our destination: Oxford University! It was absolutely amazing! The city is so big, and so beautiful. We had so much fun! Maybe even a little too much fun... :) We started off by taking a little stroll down to Alice's Shop! This was an adorable little store that helped inspire Lewis Carroll's famous novel 'Alice in Wonderland'. And as a result, the shop is now dedicated to the story! It was fun. Then we went down to the River Head Pub. The cutest little pub right along the side of the river where all of the Oxford boat races take place. It was great! I was really curious about the water temperature, and honestly, I wanted to jump in to test it out. That is until I saw the water up close. Very not clear, and very brown. I quickly changed my mind! haha Our next adventure took place at Christ's Church College! The most gorgeous school I think I've ever seen... and uh, guess what!?!? Harry Potter has some awesome history here! The main staircase was used in Hogwarts, and also the dining hall is the Great Hall in the movies! It was so fantastic! (although kinda disappointing. The movies do a great job at making things look a lot bigger than they really are... but it was awesome nonetheless!) We then went into the St. Mary's Church, and climbed the stairs to the top of the tower. Here we were able to look out across the beautiful city! Right next door to that was some cool rotunda library thing, where the Hogwarts Library is also located. :) We then had decided we had enough exploring, and needed some food! So we went to the most incredible little pub I have ever seen! It's called Turf's Tavern, and the only way to get to it, is through these tiny little alley ways... whic are nearly impossible to find! So it's kinda like some cool little secret. :) While there, my buddies decided me that today was the day for me to try the infamous English Fish & Chips. And they were very pursuasive. So I gave in... and I hated it.  haha  ok, not really! But this is how it went... I was so scared to try it! Just knowing that it was fish freaked me out. It didn't look like fish, and it didn't smell like fish... and quite honestly, it didn't taste like fish either. So I ate a few bites, thinking that I was maybe being a little dramatic, and making a bigger deal out of things than they really were... until I saw it. A dark, shiny spot in my fish. And guess what it was!? yup. It was a scale!!! I had been eating scales! ugh! I thought I was going to die... I refused to take another bite. I then had to make Ramzi finish mine because there was no way I was going to get another bite of that in my mouth. But, it was legit, and I can now officially say that I ate fish and chips! Once was enough for me... :)  Some of the other cool things we did in Oxford include a walk down Queen's Lane, a photo shoot underneath the Bridge of Sighs, and Broad Street. We also went into the famous Covered Market, and got milkshakes from Moo Moo's. So delicious! And so worth being late and almost missing the bus for. :)  Overall, our experience at Oxford was very successful. I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment