Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Southall

One night we ventured into the district of Southall.... we had to take a tube/bus/train combo to get there, but it was definitely worth it! When we first got there, we went inside the beautiful Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha - one of the largest Sikh temples outside India. It was incredible. We had to remove our shoes, and wear scarves over our heads when we went in. We just walked upstairs, and sat on the floor as they sang their little prayer songs, and then we went and explored a bit. It was a really awesome experience! Then we went and wandered around, and saw many other Sikh and Buddhist temples along the way. We ended our adventure by meeting up with the group at a restaurant called GIFTOS... the most legit Indian food there is. And guess what!? I actually tried some of the food... it was a big step for me considering my extremely picky eating habits. I was quite proud of myself. I didn’t like any of what I tried... but I did try it!  J  This was such a great cultural experience for me. I absolutely love begin here where I am able to experience amazing things like this each and every day. I have changed a lot because of them, and I know that there are so many things I am learning through all of this, that will have a huge impact on the rest of my life. This is such a great opportunity, and I am so glad that I am here!

No comments:

Post a Comment