Monday, January 24, 2011

Road Trippin' ... English Style

This week, we went on one of our first big adventures into the wonderful land of England! And it was fantastic! We left early Thursday morning, and headed for our first destination: York! We took a slight detour on our way, and went and explored the ruins of Fountains Abbey. It was absolutely gorgeous! Who knew that ruins could be so fun and entertaining? haha  No, but seriously, it's amazing to me how incredible history can be! I love it! :)  So we continued on our way, and arrived in the city. This is where one of my all time favorite stories comes into play... so after unloading the bus, and checking into our hotel rooms, a big groups of us decided to go out and explore the town! And for some reason, I don't know why, we thought it would be a good idea to try and squish 10 girls into a 4 person elevator... let's just say we were extremely unsuccessful in our endeavor.  haha  The elevator sunk about a foot, and began to make very horrible sounds. We all began to panic, screamed, and then literally fell out of the elevator onto the floor. It was probably the funniest thing I have seen in a long time!  :)  Anyways, we made it out of the hotel without any major injuries or further disasters, and began our personal tour of York. Cutest little city ever! I loved it! We stumbled upon this area called The Shambles. This is the oldest shopping street in all of Europe! How awesome is that? For someone who loves shopping and loves history as much I do... it was like paradise. :)

So we woke up to a beautiful morning in York, and went on a little stroll along the Roman Wall that surrounds the city. Let me just say, it was one of the coolest things ever! We walked across the city until we reached Yorkminster Abbey. Here we stopped and took a tour... yet another abbey. yay.  It was exactly like the fifty other ones I've seen already. But I do have to admit, it was still beautiful. And I swear if I have to tour another one... I may scream. hahaha  But anyways! After the tour was over, we got on the bus and drove to a little place called Preston. This was a pretty sweet place! This is the town where the LDS church first made its apperance overseas! It was super neat. We met a local member there, and he took us for a little church history tour around the city. We saw all sorts of awesome sites like the town square where hundreds of missionaries including Gordon B. Hinckley taught, the river where the first baptisms took place, and the many monuments dedicated to the Mormons around the city. It was a great experience. And lucky for us, we were able to end this great tour, by making a stop at the Preston, England Temple! It was absolutely gorgeous! Loved it!

The next morning, I awoke in the foggy town of Liverpool. And of course you know what that means.... I got to spend my morning at the best place on eart: The Beatles Museum!  Oh my goodness. I absolutely loved it! I honestly could have stayed there all day and been perfectly happy. So great! After our time at the museum, I spent a little too much money in the Beatles store, and then we had the great opportunity to go and see Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields! Two of my favorite Beatles songs were written after those places. I about died. I finished my Beatles day by listening to their music non-stop for the next 6 hours until we arrived back in London. Best day of my life! I can now say my life is complete.  :)

Well, that about sums up our road trip adventures... the only other thing that happened this weekend, was I had a great sunday in my new ward! The people of the Lea Valley Ward here in London are absolutely amazing! They are mostly all people from Nigeria and Ghana. And oh my gosh. They have the most adorable little black babies I have ever seen! My little heart just melts... and to make it even better, I was assigned as the Primary pianist! So I got to be with them like all day! And it made me so happy!  :) 

Anyways, that's about all I have for this week! So until next time... (ps. I'm sorry I couldn't post any pictures this time! My computer is being super lame. Hopefully next time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment